Thursday, August 27, 2009

Napping in Strange Places

You never know what you are going to find where and how.
I stumbled across this little bird outside the door of Target.
It just sat there. I started to pet it and my two children.
It is beautiful. I literally would have stepped on it if I was not looking.
I picked it up and moved it onto a short wall behind a trash can.
It had been sleeping while sitting in the original
pathway really close to the road.
When I picked it up it started to flutter a little.
But it just hopped across the wall like it didn't know how to fly.
finally, it lifted up and did a wide, but not too skillful circle, out to the parking lot and then over the roof of the store.
At least I know it can fly.
This is a young Kentucky Warbler.
I had my sister do the homework for me.
(not too great of quality pictures with my cell phone.
I did not have my camera with me)



These next two are not my pictures... I found them online to show a good
shot of Kentucky warblers.
This has to be one of the prettiest birds I have found yet.
And the best part is I got to be so close and hold it.
This is pretty much what it would have looked like in my hand.
Although mine had it's wings a little spread open.

1 comment:

Becca said...

They are amazing pics taken with a cell phone! I never would've believed it if I didn't see it. He is so out of place in a parking lot. How amazing! Such a cool cool bird! I always wonder if we who care are meant to find these little creatures or if it is just because we care that we notice them when others don't.